Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Who I Am

Maybe I should introduce myself, Hm?
My name is Kailey, and believe it or not, I'm not your typical parent.
First of all, I'm a single mama. A single teen mama. I'm 18 (as of 2/22) and don't worry, my child is well cared for..and no, my mom does not raise her!
My daughter is spoiled rotten. Not only is her little bum covered in cloth as opposed to disposables, but she's breastfed and will be self-weaning when she is ready to do so!
She also sleeps in my bed. Bad Mama, I know. But when you've just given birth (and not an easy birth!!!) and you're exhausted and the newborn you aren't sure what to do with will not sleep for more than 20 minutes in the contraption they call a bassinet, you'll do anything to get some shut eye.
Why didn't I move her to a crib when she got older? I wasn't up to fighting with her over something that won't hurt her.
Yes, you heard me, bed sharing will NOT hurt her.
Personally, I think that the warnings and threats that your child WILL die if they sleep beside you is way over exaggerated.. but that's me.
I let her play with paper, I let her cruise and crawl on our hardwood floor, I let her eat a sandwich for lunch..because they won't hurt her!
I should explain that sandwich thing though, shouldn't I?
My daughter (By the way, her name is Ashlynn) is a child who knows the realm of Baby Led Solids (http://www.tribalbaby.org/babyLedEating.html) and by 7 months was eating avocado chunks, toast, etc.
Now, at nearly 9 months, she eats whatever I am eating, provided it doesn't have honey or peanut products in it. Yes, she has things with milk in them, but I do not give her milk alone.

I think she's doing pretty well at 22lbs, cruising, crawling, talking (7 or so words!), and pretty darn smart! (It's a mama thing. Of course my baby is smart! She's Mine!)

But anywho..
I'm also a student and make the best of everything I have. I am more than thankful for the amazing gift I was given. My daughter.


And no, I don't date. Or leave my child with my mom so I can go do teen things.
Teen mom isn't true to all teen mamas. :)

2 comments:

  1. I was a teen mom too! At 16! I wasn't the typical "tenn mom" either. Kuddos for being a good mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lot like me. I was 18 when i got married and 19 when I had my first. Cloth diapered on and off, breastfed exclusively, made their own organic food, wore my babies and slept with them. Took a lot of heat for my choices but hey, they are mine! I must commend you for doing all this being a teen mom and standing against the stereotype.

    Be blessed

    ReplyDelete