Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This Mama Isn't a Single Mama Anymore!

First off, I'd like to make it known that after years of seriously thinking, experimenting, etc, I've determined that I'm not attracted to men. This mama is a lesbian mama.
Signs I noticed include, but are not limited to;
  • When out with friends, I didn't notice the men/boys they pointed out. I noticed the girlfriend of said person.
  • I never noticed men/boys on TV. All the TV stars my friends were in love with I didn't find attractive. But I did notice girls/women.
  • When poster shopping, I never found myself interested in half-naked men. Half-naked women was another story.
  • I realized recently that as a young child, I had a crush on Xena from Xena Warrior Princess.. I was probably 5 at the time.
  • Body/Chest/Facial hair freaks me out pretty badly. I don't like it.
At 14, I came out as bisexual. I've always been attracted to women. I dated a couple girls, dated some boys, but my experience with girls wasn't exactly picture perfect. Both were pretty distant about things and both later came out as straight. And yes, I've been with a girl sexually.
With the boys, I'll admit it was mainly sexual. But I wasn't really attracted to them physically. It was more their personality that would draw me in. And, as my friend put it, all of them were baby-faced with softer features, like a girl.
I have since lost all attraction to men, but still constantly notice women.
So I started speaking to a friend of mine who is married with an 8 month old son.
To cut to the chase, her marriage is an open marriage on her part, since she is bisexual.
Her husband has no problem with her dating (yes, having an actual emotional/sexual relationship) a girl. If anything, he supports it! And no strings involved, either.
So after a while of her and I pondering the subject and opportunities, We decided to give it a go.
This type of relationship is referred to as Polyamory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory
Polyamory (from Greek πολύ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor [love]) is the practice, desire, or acceptance of having more than one intimate relationship at a time with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved.

In a nutshell, she is a married woman with a girlfriend at the same time. No secrets in either relationship.
If all goes well, I see this becoming a long-term thing, which would give Ashlynn a "father figure" (a positive male role model, at least) in her life, as well as TWO mommy figures. A primary mommy, me, who provides everything for her, as well as a secondary mommy.

Then came coming out..and telling a select few family members about my relationship.
Coming out went well. No negative comments (Yes, I did it through facebook. It was a quick, easy way to tell a lot of people at once) and a few people weren't surprised in the least.
Telling my family about my girlfriend didn't go nearly as well.
My mom thought nothing of "informing" me that my girlfriend thought of me as a "Good F***, Something on the side"
excuse me?
She's not supportive in the least, but she's not going to try to sabotage the relationship either.
Her mom, my grandmother, was much much more open about it.
She's not "excited" per say, but she's not opposed like my mom is, either.
As long as I'm happy and in a good relationship, she's happy as well.

And, too add, Ashlynn loves my girlfriend and her husband, as well as their son (Though he tries to kiss her and she HATES it! Typical girl avoiding those boy cooties)

To end this post, here are some Polyamory factoids!

Values within polyamory

  • Fidelity and loyalty: Many polyamorists define fidelity not as sexual exclusivity but as faithfulness to the promises and agreements made about a relationship. A secret sexual relationship that violates those accords would be seen as a breach of fidelity. Polyamorists generally base definitions of commitment on considerations other than sexual exclusivity, e.g. "trust and honesty" or "growing old together".
  • Communication and negotiation: Because there is no "standard model" for polyamorous relationships, and reliance upon common expectations may not be realistic, polyamorists often advocate explicitly deciding the ground rules of their relationships with all concerned, and often emphasize that this should be an ongoing process of communication and respect. Polyamorists usually take a pragmatic approach to their relationships; they accept that sometimes they and their partners will make mistakes and fail to live up to these ideals, and that communication is important for repairing any breaches.
  • Trust, honesty, dignity and respect: Most polyamorists emphasize respect, trust, and honesty for all partners. A partner's partners should be accepted as part of that person's life rather than merely tolerated, and a relationship that requires deception, or where partners are not allowed to express their individual lives, is often seen as a poor model.
  • Gender equality: Most polyamorists do not believe in different relationship "rules" based on gender, a point of contrast with some forms of religious non-monogamy. However the ground rules of each relationship are negotiable, and very occasionally a couple will agree upon an asymmetric degree of freedom among the partners (who need not be of different genders) due to individual differences and needs.
  • Non-possessiveness: Polyamorists believe that excessive restrictions on other deep relationships are not for the best, as they tend to replace trust with a framework of ownership and control. They often strive to see their partner's partners in terms of the gain to their partner's life rather than the threat to their own. Poly relationships often involve negotiated agreements or "ground rules"; these agreements vary widely and may change over time, but could include consultation about new relationships, or seeking an existing partner's veto or approval.
  • Mutual support: This requires that each partner will support, and not undermine, the other, and will not deliberately use a secondary relationship to harm another party or relationship.
While openly polyamorous relationships are relatively rare (Rubin, 1982), there are indications that private polyamorous arrangements within relationships are actually quite common. Blumstein and Schwartz (1983, cited in Rubin & Adams, 1986) noted that of 3,574 married couples in their sample, 15-28% had an understanding that allows nonmonogamy under some circumstances. The percentages are higher among cohabitating couples (28%), lesbian couples (29%) and gay male couples (65%)


1 comment:

  1. Very good post and very positively approached. I'm glad "coming-out" didn't have any negative reactions, though some (like your mother) may not have been the most positive.

    ReplyDelete