Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Inevitable,

I knew my father's side of the family would eventually voice their opinions, so I tried to prepare myself.
But I didn't prepare myself enough, it seems.
My aunt told my grandmother (my father's mother, who is very, very religious) that I came out as a lesbian, and told me that it was okay, she would get used to it and that the rest of the family is okay with it. The want me happy.
I believed her until I spoke to my cousin.
My cousin informed me that my grandmother had asked her and my other aunt to pray for me.
Alright.. Tolerable I suppose.
My cousin also informed me that she didn't believe in my sexuality. She did not support it.
I asked if she was trying to pray me straight then.
She said no.
"its not a matter of being close minded its a matter of her faith/the familys faith and thats what we believe and we obviously dont hate you or stop loving you or anything we just all want to help you"
Help me? Help me with what?
Since when do I need help? I have an amazing daughter, I'm doing pretty well for myself, I have a very good relationship...
What exactly do I need help with? Becoming straight, of course!
We spoke for a bit and I asked her..
So, If I fall in love with a girl..it's not love to you?
Her reply?
"Lol of course not!!!"
Excuse me?
Love is love. It knows no gender, whether it be male and female, male and male, or female and female.
It got pretty heated after that.
As far as I'm concerned, if she can hop onto her soapbox to preach to me about my sexuality, she should follow the bible herself.
And, if you weren't aware, A woman who is not a virgin when married should be stoned to death.
A husband, according to the bible, needs a virgin to marry.
Premarital sex is frowned upon.
As are tattoos and piercings.
She has at least 3 piercings and was pregnant at her wedding.
But, as she claims, we don't follow the bible that closely.
Well why not? Why choose what you follow?

Either way, my daughter turns one tomorrow, and her birthday party is the day after, so I warned her that my sexuality is not to be brought up at any point.
If it is, the person who brings it up will have to leave immediately.
I'll hear them out, however. If I'm asked to "Help with something" (As I'm sure my grandmother will do) and it is brought up, I will listen, say "Thanks for your opinion, but I am who I am and I'm not changing for you, but I believe it's time you leave", then walk away.
My mom and I already agreed that all I'll have to do is signal to her and she will take care of whoever dares cause drama.
The party is to celebrate my daughter turning one, not to question my choices or sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment